Canetsfontein Estate’s 22 hectares of vineyards sprawl across the north-facing slopes of the Hawequas mountains at altitudes ranging from 225 to 350 metres.
We estimate that the first vineyards on Canetsfontein were established around 1750. After the appeal of viticulture faded in the 1950s, the soil lay fallow until 1997. Between 1997 and 2001, vineyards were replanted under the new ownership of the Falk family.
The new plantings were based on thorough scientific research. The most eligible clones and rootstocks were combined in order to produce one of the best Merlots in South Africa.
All vineyards are drip-irrigated and monitored by soil moisture devices.